We put our hair through a lot. We brush, tie, knot, crimp, curl, straighten, braid, dye, and yank it in every direction. And let’s not forget the damage done to our tresses by UVA and UVB rays. It’s no wonder that the texture changes and our hair thins as we get older.
Currently trending in Europe and Asia, women are turning to skincare-like hair treatments on the market to pamper their hair and make it look healthy and beautiful. And truthfully, the scalp should be considered part of our skincare regimen: it suffers similar signs of aging, including hyperpigmentation, dryness and inflammation.
Anti-aging ingredients, such as amino acids (like arginine and alpha-lipoic acid), fatty acids (ceramides), vitamins (pro-vitamin B5 and E) and peptides, can help ensure healthier hair by fighting free radicals, decreasing inflammation, and moisturizing skin – all of which stimulate hair growth. But you can do more than just look for shampoos and conditioners containing these actives. More and more, masks, oils, and serums offer distinctive and essential benefits to keep your scalp healthy and your hair beautiful.
Masks work particularly well because they are left on the scalp for extended periods of time and help restore hair, while imparting shine and lasting conditioning for more manageable, shiny hair.
Hair serums are also important, as they offer super-concentrated actives that treat the scalp and hair follicle, providing protective, corrective, and anti-aging benefits.
Oils (specifically stimulating ones like sage, rosemary, and eucalyptus) increase circulation and balance the pH levels of the scalp. And products with a base of coconut oil are great because, unlike mineral oil, they penetrate the hair shaft, and reduce damage.
But perhaps one of the most important things, and something we should think about more often, is protecting our hair and scalp from UVA/UVB rays. Look for products containing broad-spectrum SPF, and apply them before exposing your hair to sun, salt, or chlorinated water. Broad-spectrum SPF is an essential summer staple that will protect your scalp and hair, as well as your skin, against thermal aggressions.
Treating your scalp and hair with more innovative and powerful hair care products will ensure improved hair with better vitality. Even if it takes a little extra time, your amazing, beautiful, healthy hair is worth it!
Some great products to try:
• Peter Thomas Roth’s Hair To Die For serum, which is touted as a powerful, revolutionary skincare-inspired formula that promotes stronger, denser, thicker, fuller and more luscious looking hair.
• Kérastase Initialiste, a skincare-inspired super serum that acts on the four attributes of total hair beauty: strength, shine, softness and substance.
• Kérastase Resistance Masque Force Architecte, which is said to intensely replenish while rebuilding structure of hair fiber. Smoothes, heals and protects hair, helps prevent breakage and split ends.
• Oribe Gold Lust Nourishing Hair Oil, a luxuriously light oil that absorbs instantly to restore hair to its prime. Infused with a rich blend of jasmine, edelweiss flower, lychee, sandalwood, cassis, bergamot and argan extracts, this oil penetrates the hair to deeply condition, strengthen and smooth,imparting intense nourishment and incredible shine.
• Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment Plus, which restores vibrant health to even the most deeply damaged hair. Plus, it helps increase hair’s strength, protecting it against breakage.
• Ojon Rare Blend Oil Total Hair Therapy, a multi-tasking wonder that protects, nourishes, repairs and transforms dull, dry or damaged hair to vibrant health. Instantly, hair looks glossier and shinier and feels softer, silkier, and more luxurious. We put our hair through a lot. We brush, tie, knot, crimp, curl, straighten, braid, dye, and yank it in every direction. And let’s not forget the damage done to our tresses by UVA and UVB rays. It’s no wonder that the texture changes and our hair thins as we get older!