Hibernation mode during the Winter can leave your skin a little neglected, but as Spring’s temperatures turn into Summer heat, it’s time spruce things up. Bare it all with these products that will leave you glowing from head to toe.
Whether you’re practicing hot yoga under the sun, hitting the waves, or snuggling up with your favorite book on the sand, here’s a sweet and simple guide to your beach beauty essentials. We promise you’ll still have enough room for gossip mags and your cell phone!
1. The most important item? Duh, sunscreen. Prevent sunburns, premature aging and skin cancer with CeraVe’s Sunscreen Wet Skin Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 50 ($17). The super adherent formula even clings to wet skin, so it’s perfect for a day at the beach!
2. Salt water + sunburn = flakey, chapped lips. Keep your precious pout protected with Anthony Logistics Advanced Formula Lip Balm SPF 25 ($7.50), and soak up the lip repairing benefits of the antioxidant-rich formula that includes green tea extract, resveratrol, and vitamin E.
3. Don’t forget good ol’ H2O! When you’re dehydrated, it shows outwardly on your skin and makes wrinkles more noticeable. Keep your skin looking plump by staying hydrated throughout the day. We suggest tossing a couple of water bottles in the freezer the night b3efore so your water stash stays cool for several hours.
4. Rather than deal with a sunburnt scalp or greasy hair, pack a cute beach hat. We’re smitten with Nordstrom’s Straw Fedora ($28) that comes in a bevy of adorable colors.
5. The easiest way to prevent crow’s feet from forming? Keep a pair of sunglasses in your beach bag. Make sure your shades offer UV protection to shield your eye area from sun damage. And hey, when your makeup has faded away, there’s nothing like a pair of aviators to keeping you looking hot. We love these UV-protected shades from Forever 21!
If you’ve picked up a fashion magazine in the last couple months, chances are you’ve seen ads for L’Oréal’s Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ plastered across the pages. What’s the big deal about this spray sunscreen? According to L’Oréal, it’s the “first high SPF protection oil” with a non-greasy, non-sticky feel.
No doubt about it, L’Oréal really did a nice job with the texture of this sunscreen. You don’t get the slick, greasy feel that you normally would with an oil spray. Instead, the formula quickly absorbs into skin and leaves it feeling lightly moisturized but not sticky. The clear, fluid formula wears nicely throughout the day and even boasts a formula ultra-resistant to water and sweat.
So what’s not to love? For one, the smell. The potent blend of fragrant ingredients stays on your skin all day long and not in a good way. Plus, fragrance in such a high concentration isn’t good for skin (it can be sensitizing, break down collagen, and impair the skin’s ability to heal itself).
Adding to the problem is the high amount of denatured alcohol used in the formula, which can be irritating and drying to skin. Even if you don’t see any irritation on the surface of your skin, it can affect lower layers, which ultimately results in inflammation and premature aging.
Instead, we suggest opting for gentler sunscreen sprays like Alba Botanica Natural Very Emollient Sunscreen Natural Protection Sport Spray SPF 40 ($11), CeraVe Sunscreen Wet Skin Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 50 ($17), or Kiss My Face Sun Spray Lotion SPF 30 ($16).
And don’t miss Reba Buhr’s Makeup Shakeup segment with makeup artist to the stars, Desirae Cherman for some seriously good product recommendations.
Plus, find out which inexpensive skincare and makeup products outdo their pricey competitors with Senior Beauty Editor Desiree Stordahl.
Catch all this and more on Inside Beautiful!
Psoriasis is a skin disorder caused by cells that reproduce at an abnormally rapid rate, resulting in thickened, scaly skin and in many cases, inflamed bumps. For some, psoriasis is secluded to certain areas like the hairline or elbows, but for others, the disease takes over the entire body.
If you’ve recently been diagnosed with psoriasis, you might be feeling overwhelmed, but you’re not alone. When the reigning Miss California, Mabelynn Capeluj, stopped by the Inside Beautiful studio to share her story about overcoming psoriasis, we were shocked to find out that this disorder is the most prevalent autoimmune disease in the U.S., affecting up to 7.5 million Americans.
While a permanent cure for psoriasis has yet to be found, there are treatments that can help alleviate symptoms.
Here are some options to explore with your doctor.
Plus, tune in as our rockin’ reporter Erin Lucas breaks down this week’s buzzworthy beauty news, and stick around for Reba Buhr’s Makeup Shakeup segment with makeup artist to the stars, Desirae Cherman.
And don’t miss our Beauty Insider segment with Melissa Magsaysay and Tina Dizon on everything you need to know about hair extensions (at-home and from the salon).
Catch all this and more, every week on Inside Beautiful!